Podcasts de historia

Robert H McCurdy SP-3157 - Historia

Robert H McCurdy SP-3157 - Historia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Robert H. McCurdy

(SP-3157: t. 735; 1. 178 '; b. 37'2 "; dr. 12'1"; cpl. 32)

Robert H. McCurdy (SP-3157), una goleta de madera construida en 1903 por Cobb, Butler & Co., Rockland, Maine, fue comprada por la Marina a WS Job Co. y asumida en Norfolk, Virginia, el 25 de julio. 1918. Encargado el mismo día, el teniente O. Fernstron, USNRF, al mando, Robert H. McCurdy permaneció en el área de Norfolk hasta mediados de agosto, luego se trasladó a Lewes, Delaware. En octubre, operó con el submarino auxiliar Savannah, asignado a la División 8, Submarine Force, pero, a finales de mes, había asumido sus funciones fuera de Coll Springs Inlet, Nueva Jersey El 29 de noviembre navegó a Atlantic City, donde participó en la limpieza de campos de minas al este de esa ciudad turística hasta el 8 de diciembre .

La goleta luego regresó a Cold Springs Inlet donde permaneció hasta que fue remolcada a Filadelfia a fines de enero de 1919 para su inactivación. Al llegar el día 29, Robert H. McCurdy fue dado de baja a principios de febrero y posteriormente fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina y vendido.


HistoryLink.org

Horace Winslow ("H. W.") McCurdy fue constructor de barcos, constructor de puentes, líder cívico, nativo de Washington y, de manera más duradera, un partidario de la investigación marítima y la recolección marítima en el noroeste del Pacífico. Las estructuras construidas por su empresa, Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging, incluyen el Puente Flotante del Lago Washington (1940) y el Puente del Canal de Hood (1961). Él asumió completamente los gastos de producción La historia marina de H. W. McCurdy del noroeste del Pacífico y su volumen posterior La historia marina de H. W. McCurdy del noroeste del Pacífico, 1966-1976. Fue uno de los principales impulsores del establecimiento y desarrollo temprano del Museo de Historia e Industria de Seattle. La Asociación de Agentes Inmobiliarios de Seattle-King County nombró a H. W. McCurdy Primer Ciudadano de 1964.

Familia de McCurdy en Port Townsend

Horace Winslow McCurdy nació en Port Townsend el 30 de julio de 1899, hijo de una de las familias más conocidas de esa ciudad. Su abuelo, William August McCurdy Jr. (1833-1890) llegó a Port Townsend en la barca. Franklin Adams en 1857. William McCurdy, que se formó como carpintero de barcos, era primo del pionero de Port Townsend, F. W. Pettygrove. Después de establecerse en Port Townsend, viajó por la costa noroeste construyendo barcos. Trabajó para el gobierno de los Estados Unidos en Mare Island Navy Yard en California, luego para los astilleros del constructor naval Hiram Doncaster en Seabeck, Tacoma y Port Ludlow. En 1868 se casó con Johanna Ebinger (1850-1880) de Portland, Oregon, de 17 años. La pareja se mudó de un lugar a otro según lo requerían los trabajos de William McCurdy, pero en 1871 habían regresado a Port Townsend. Usando sus habilidades de carpintería, William McCurdy se dedicó a construir casas y construyó muchas de las casas victorianas en el acantilado con vista a la bahía de Port Townsend. Su hijo, James Griffith McCurdy (1872-1942), el padre de H. W., nació allí. La familia estaba activa en la Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana de Port Townsend.

James McCurdy amaba el mar, pero un roce de la infancia con lo que probablemente era polio lo dejó incapaz de seguir una carrera marítima. En cambio, se abrió camino en la escalera del Banco Nacional de Port Townsend, de chico de los recados a presidente. Más tarde en la vida, James G. McCurdy escribió Por el estrecho de Juan de Fuca, una historia de Port Townsend y sus alrededores. También escribió un manuscrito inacabado que se publicó después de su muerte llamado Días Indios en Neah Bay. El libro narra varios años de la niñez de James McCurdy, durante los cuales el trabajo de construcción de William McCurdy llevó a la familia a vivir en Neah Bay cerca de los 700 Makah para quienes el área era su hogar. El libro incluye impresiones de fotografías notablemente conmovedoras de la tribu tomadas por el joven McCurdy en negativos de placas de vidrio.

Una infancia junto al mar

En 1893, James McCurdy se casó con Anna Tobena Laursen (1875-1962), una inmigrante danesa. La pareja abrió su casa a los muchos capitanes de barco (a menudo acompañados por sus esposas, muchas de las cuales Anna McCurdy conocía de Dinamarca) que anclaron en Port Townsend. Su hijo Horace Winslow (apodado "Mac") creció escuchando cuentos de aventuras en el mar, oliendo el aire salado y observando el tráfico marítimo en el Estrecho de Juan de Fuca. "Mi primer recuerdo", reflexionó McCurdy, ". es de mi padre despertándome y llevándome al porche al amanecer para ver un barco con aparejo completo, todas las velas puestas y avanzando hacia la madrugada hacia el oeste, navegando hacia nuestra bahía sin la ayuda de un remolcador ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. I, página 14).

McCurdy asistió a las escuelas de Port Townsend y en su tiempo extra ayudó a uno de sus tíos, William McCurdy (1868-1911). William McCurdy era dueño de un astillero local llamado Madison Street Marine Ways. La compañía construyó principalmente las pequeñas embarcaciones que componían la llamada Flota Mosquito: embarcaciones livianas que transportaban pasajeros de puerto a puerto por las vías fluviales marinas que eran en ese momento la vía más común de la región de Puget Sound. McCurdy trabajó para su tío desde la más tierna infancia, barriendo, pintando, enmasillando y, finalmente, construyendo barcos a mano; la única herramienta eléctrica en el taller era una pequeña sierra de cinta a gasolina.

William McCurdy murió repentinamente en 1911 a la edad de 43 años. Mac McCurdy tenía 11 años. Realizó trabajos ocasionales en la ciudad: llevaba periódicos, cortaba césped y hacía trabajos de limpieza en la Biblioteca Pública de Port Townsend y en la Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana, donde también le pagaron por extraer el órgano durante los servicios dominicales. Pero echaba de menos el trabajo relacionado con el mar. A los 14 años, McCurdy y su buen amigo Wilfred Easterbrook convencieron al empresario local Fred Bailey de que los contratara para trabajar en los martinetes de Bailey. El trabajo era a menudo agotador, pero para McCurdy también era estimulante. McCurdy trabajó para Bailey durante las vacaciones escolares hasta que se graduó de la universidad, excepto durante la Primera Guerra Mundial cuando sirvió en la Marina de los Estados Unidos.

Una de las primeras influencias importantes de McCurdy fue el constructor naval Robert Moran (1857-1943). Moran se había retirado de la construcción naval cuando Mac McCurdy lo conoció, pero sus historias de los días gloriosos de Moran Brothers Company debieron ser convincentes. McCurdy recordó más tarde: “Mi recuerdo más vívido de una amistad de la infancia fue mi relación con Robert Moran. Me fascinó su relato sobre la construcción del acorazado de primera clase. Nebraska, y los problemas involucrados, y resolví que algún día yo también construiría buenos barcos ”(El Seattle Times, 13 de abril de 1952).

Terminar la escuela y encontrar el amor

En 1912 McCurdy terminó Lincoln Grammar School, y en 1915 se graduó de Port Townsend High School como salutatorian. A los 16 se matriculó en la Universidad de Washington, donde remaba en tripulación. Durante un viaje de vacaciones a casa durante el Día de Acción de Gracias durante su primer año, conoció a Sarah Catherine McManus (1900-1992), de 16 años, en la tienda de caramelos de un oficial en Fort Worden. El padre de Catherine, George H. McManus (1867-1954), era coronel (más tarde general de brigada) recién incorporado al fuerte. McCurdy luego recordó el encuentro como amor a primera vista, al menos para él. Cortejó a Catherine durante las vacaciones de verano, todavía trabajando en el martinete de Fred Bailey.

McCurdy regresó a la Universidad de Washington en el otoño de 1916. Toda la atención en el campus se centró en la guerra en Europa. Incapaz de concentrarse en su trabajo escolar, McCurdy (como muchos otros jóvenes en ese momento) dejó la Universidad de Washington en abril de 1917 para ser voluntario de la Marina.

La gran guerra de McCurdy

Su primera asignación fue en los EE. UU. Anémona custodiando el campus de la Universidad de Washington en Portage Bay. McCurdy se consideraba a sí mismo shanghaied: Francia era el lugar donde más deseaba estar. Finalmente, fue asignado al Brooklyn Navy Yard y desde allí se embarcó en el Henry R. Mallory. los Mallory, un barco de transporte, hizo numerosas travesías atlánticas, esquivando torpedos y submarinos alemanes.

Después de la guerra, McCurdy regresó brevemente a Seattle (donde Catherine estudiaba en la Universidad de Washington) y Port Townsend, luego ingresó en el Instituto de Tecnología de Massachusetts (MIT). Con amigos estableció el primer equipo de la escuela. Catherine se transfirió al Conservatorio de Música de Nueva Inglaterra, pero le dijo a McCurdy que nunca se casaría con él hasta que él terminara su licenciatura. Los dos se casaron el 3 de junio de 1922, la tarde de la graduación de McCurdy del MIT con un B.S. en Ingeniería. El matrimonio se mantuvo en secreto y se celebró una ceremonia formal cinco meses después, el 16 de octubre de 1922.

Empresa de dragado y puentes de Puget Sound

McCurdy inmediatamente encontró trabajo en Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company. Su primer destino fue en Maybelle, Texas, donde la empresa estaba construyendo una presa de llenado hidráulico utilizando el método de dragado. El clima de Texas que McCurdy describió como "podrido como el infierno" (McCurdy con Newell, Vol. I, p. 81). En Maybelle, las temperaturas de 117 grados no eran inusuales.

En abril de 1923, McCurdy fue trasladado a la sede corporativa en Seattle, y él y Catherine abandonaron la robusta choza de madera que McCurdy había construido para servir como su primer hogar. Su hijo James G. McCurdy II nació en septiembre de 1923. Un mes después, la joven familia se mudó a Raymond y luego a una serie de pequeños pueblos alrededor de Washington mientras McCurdy manejaba trabajos de dragado. En 1927 McCurdy fue nombrado gerente de todo el Departamento de Dragado y la familia estableció un hogar permanente en Seattle. Su segundo hijo, Thomas Winslow (1928-1955), nació poco después. Siguiendo el consejo de su padre, McCurdy se unió rápidamente a la Cámara de Comercio de Seattle.

McCurdy se convirtió en vicepresidente y gerente general de Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging en 1929, luego presidente y gerente general en 1931. En la primavera de 1937 le diagnosticaron agotamiento nervioso severo y le recetaron un año de descanso. Dejando a sus hijos con sus abuelos en Port Townsend, McCurdy y Catherine zarparon hacia Tahití.

Después de su recuperación, McCurdy se propuso pasar más tiempo navegando por las aguas del noroeste en busca de placer y relajación. El barco familiar, Moby Dick, se convirtió en el centro de la actividad familiar. En diciembre de 1941, el Moby Dick se convirtió al servicio militar. Más tarde, la familia navegó el Peter azul, un yate de 96 pies. McCurdy fue comodoro del Seattle Yacht Club en 1941.

Construyendo puentes

En 1939, Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company, en asociación con Parker-Schram, Jack Pomeroy y Clyde Wood, construyeron el Puente Flotante del Lago Washington. El puente de hormigón flotante de 6.000 pies que conecta Seattle con Mercer Island era en ese momento la estructura flotante más grande del mundo. Muy publicitado, el Puente Flotante del Lago Washington fue esencial para el esfuerzo bélico de la región de Puget Sound durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial porque facilitó el transporte rápido de mercancías. La firma también trabajó en el Puente del Canal de Hood y el Puente de Granville Street en Vancouver, B.C., entre muchos otros proyectos.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company fue vital para el esfuerzo bélico. La empresa era mitad propietaria de Associated Shipbuilders y recibió millones de dólares en contratos gubernamentales para la construcción naval. Su instalación de construcción Harbour Island (originalmente utilizada para la preconstrucción del Puente Flotante del Lago Washington) se utilizó para reparar y lanzar más de 2.000 embarcaciones, incluidos 100 acorazados de acero. La empresa también construyó tres bases navales en Alaska (en Sitka, Kodiak y Dutch Harbor).

Después de la guerra, la empresa construyó barcos (en palabras de McCurdy) "que van desde los grandes transbordadores diésel-eléctricos de la clase Evergreen State de la flota de transbordadores del estado de Washington, pasando por los transbordadores oceánicos del sistema del estado de Alaska y Black Ball Transport, hasta destructores de misiles guiados. , fragatas y cohetes especialmente diseñados, reacondicionamiento y conversión del famoso buque hospital Esperar y el transatlántico estadounidense Presidente Roosevelt, barcos gigantes de apoyo logístico, plataformas de perforación petrolífera y el primer gran hidroala naval del mundo ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. I, p.162).

Una tragedia familiar

El hijo menor de McCurdy y Catherine, Tom, murió en 1955 de una enfermedad que contrajo durante el servicio activo como oficial de la Armada durante la Guerra de Corea. Tenía 26 años. McCurdy reflexionó: “La gran tragedia que ha afectado nuestras vidas y las de Jim y su familia es la pérdida de nuestro hijo, Tom. los cambios en la vida de todos nosotros fueron ocasionados por su muerte ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. II, p. 123). Tom fue enterrado en el cementerio Laurel Grove de Port Townsend con vistas a la bahía de Port Townsend.

Como tributo a su hijo, McCurdy instituyó un ritual para todas las embarcaciones en las que estuvo presente: “Como es costumbre en cualquier embarcación construida por McCurdy cuando el 'anciano' está a bordo, se recrea una conmovedora ceremonia a medida que pasa el barco. el punto de Port Townsend. Allí, incluso los buques de guerra construidos por McCurdy que hacen 30 nudos o más en las carreras de prueba disminuyen la velocidad y se acercan al promontorio cercano mientras 'Mac' hace tres fuertes golpes con el silbato del barco "(El Seattle Times, 11 de noviembre de 1963).

La familia McCurdy también estableció el Fondo de Becas en Memoria de Thomas W. McCurdy en la Universidad de Washington en honor a la memoria de su hijo. En 1977, esta donación fue transferida al departamento de atletismo de la Universidad de Washington. “Existe el requisito de que, en todo momento, haya un caparazón moderno en la casa de botes que lleva el nombre de Thomas W. McCurdy. Los fondos serán desembolsados ​​por la Junta de Comisarios de Remo y utilizados para equipo, viajes o para el beneficio de la tripulación ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. II, p. 95). La Galería Thomas McCurdy en el Museo de Historia e Industria también sirve como un monumento a Tom McCurdy.

Reconocimientos y logros adicionales

En 1958, el Museo de Historia e Industria y la Sociedad Histórica Marítima de Puget Sound solicitaron al Departamento de Parques y Recreación de la Ciudad de Seattle que nombrara el parque de la ciudad en el que está ubicado el Museo H. W. McCurdy Park. La ciudad acordó hacerlo, y el nombre recuerda la larga asociación y dedicación de McCurdy con el Museo. La Colección Marítima H. ​​W. McCurdy del Museo contiene artefactos, fotografías y pinturas de la colección personal de McCurdy. McCurdy comenzó a donar artículos marítimos a principios de la década de 1950 y continuó haciéndolo durante toda su vida. Los artefactos donados por McCurdy constituyen la mayor parte de la colección marítima del museo.

En 1959 McCurdy tomó la difícil decisión de vender Puget Sound Bridge y Dry Dock a Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. Lockheed instaló al hijo de McCurdy, James, como presidente. McCurdy fue nombrado presidente de la junta y también se unió a la junta de Lockheed. Puget Sound Dredging se escindió en el momento de la venta y permaneció bajo el control de la familia McCurdy.

H. W. McCurdy se retiró como presidente de la junta en 1963, poniendo fin a su asociación de 42 años con la empresa. En ese momento, reflexionó: "He estado por aquí mucho tiempo ... He estado bastante cerca de la costa de Seattle y he visto muchos cambios. Esta [jubilación] es algo muy emotivo para mí". (El Seattle Times, 11 de noviembre de 1963).

En diciembre de 1964, la Asociación de Agentes de Bienes Raíces del Condado de Seattle-King nombró a Horace W. McCurdy como el ganador número 26 del premio anual First Citizen. El First Citizen Award honra a los líderes cívicos de Seattle que han demostrado una devoción ejemplar a la comunidad y un liderazgo creativo más allá del llamado del deber. McCurdy recibió el premio en una ceremonia en The Olympic Hotel el 19 de enero de 1965. Al aceptar el premio, McCurdy dijo: “Desde mi niñez, Seattle ha sido la ciudad de mis sueños. ser designado Primer Ciudadano de Seattle es doblemente dulce para nosotros, porque acepto el honor en nombre de Catherine y en mí mismo ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. II, p. 195).

Haciendo historia

A mediados de la década de 1960, Horace McCurdy financió un proyecto de la Sociedad Histórica de Seattle para crear una historia marina actualizada del noroeste del Pacífico. La historia marina estándar de la región hasta ese momento había sido la de 1895 de E. W. Wright. Historia marina del noroeste del Pacífico de Lewis y Dryden. Cuando era niño, McCurdy había leído la copia de este volumen de su padre y había desarrollado un interés duradero por la historia marina del Noroeste. La subvención de McCurdy se utilizó para preparar un volumen complementario que puso al día la historia marítima a partir de 1966. El libro se tituló The H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest.

En 1977 se publicó otro volumen, también financiado por Horace McCurdy. Los volúmenes fueron escritos por Gordon Newell y examinados por un panel de 17 expertos marítimos del noroeste. Las ganancias de la venta de estos volúmenes beneficiaron al Museo. McCurdy fue tan generoso con el Museo de Historia e Industria que El Seattle Times se refirió a él como el santo patrón de la organización (19 de abril de 1985).

La participación cívica de McCurdy fue generalizada. Fue director de Lockheed Aircraft de 1959 a 1970, y también sirvió en las juntas directivas del Pacific National Bank y del First Interstate Bank. McCurdy, un miembro activo de la Asociación de Pioneros, también se desempeñó como presidente de la Sociedad Histórica de Seattle de 1957 a 1959. Fue miembro de la junta del Museo de Historia e Industria durante mucho tiempo. Fue miembro del Rainier Club y se desempeñó como presidente en 1949.

Entre sus muchos honores y premios se encuentran el Hombre Marítimo del Año de 1955, el Ingeniero Civil del Año de 1959 y el Ex alumno de la Universidad de Washington Summa Laude Dignatus de 1964, el primer ganador del premio que asistió pero no se graduó de la Universidad de Washington. También fue masón y recibió la Cruz de Honor de la Gran Corte Masónica. los Seattle Post-Intelligencer Explicó este último honor, “Para interpretar los adornos de la Masonería, McCurdy ahora es uno de los cinco miembros vivos de esta Gran Cruz de Honor de la Corte. La elección se basa en el servicio a la orden y al público. Los dos últimos hombres elegidos previamente para el Tribunal de Honor de Grand Cross fueron J. Edgar Hoover y el ex secretario del Tesoro, Robert B. Anderson ”(8 de octubre de 1967).

Horace McCurdy murió en Seattle el 13 de noviembre de 1989. Había dedicado los últimos años de su vida casi exclusivamente a su familia y al estudio y financiación de la historia marítima del Noroeste. A través de sus auspicios, las tumbas de los marineros George Vancouver en Petersham, Inglaterra, y Peter Puget, en Woolley, Inglaterra (un suburbio de Bath), fueron restauradas y marcadas con placas en honor a los logros de estos marineros.

Una vida pasada cerca del agua salada

Al final de su vida, McCurdy le dijo a su amigo y biógrafo Gordon Newell: “Estoy agradecido de que toda mi niñez y mi vida comercial la hayan pasado cerca del agua salada. He construido, reparado, operado, desguazado y poseído todo tipo de embarcaciones y estoy convencido y repito que la declaración de Conrad: 'El amor que se le da a los barcos es profundamente diferente del amor que los hombres sienten por cualquier otro trabajo de sus manos' - es verdad ”(McCurdy con Newell, Vol. II, p. 127). McCurdy fue conmemorado en la Primera Iglesia Presbiteriana de Seattle y en el Scottish Rite Temple, y enterrado en el cementerio Laurel Grove en Port Townsend.

Como Seattle Times El columnista Emmett Watson recordó a Mac McCurdy: “Fue el pionero prototípico. Comenzó como obrero y antes de jubilarse había construido muchos puentes, tres transbordadores y la línea de radar de alerta temprana distante de 800 millas de largo en Alaska. Construyó bases aéreas durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Construyó más de 100 barcos y sus edificios y presas aún se pueden ver en todo el mundo. Era un historiador marítimo que se convirtió en una leyenda en el paseo marítimo de Seattle, pero probablemente lo mejor que escuché sobre McCurdy fue de Gordon Newell, un historiador del noroeste. "Fue el último de la generación de empresarios independientes", dijo Newell. “Llegó a la cima sin mentir, engañar o robar. Su apretón de manos fue tan bueno como un contrato de diez páginas preparado por un abogado '”(El Seattle Times, 21 de noviembre de 1989).

En febrero de 2004, la familia McCurdy donó $ 150,000 al Northwest Maritime Center de Port Townsend para financiar la Biblioteca de Recursos Marítimos de H. W. McCurdy. La propiedad del Northwest Maritime Center se encuentra en la bahía de Port Townsend, adyacente al terreno costero en el que se encontraba el astillero del tío de McCurdy, donde se arraigó por primera vez el vínculo de toda la vida de H. W. McCurdy con la historia marítima del noroeste.

Asociación de Agentes Inmobiliarios de Seattle-King County
Seguro Pemco
James McCurdy

Horace W. McCurdy (1899-1989)

Foto de Marsha y Michael Burns

Horace McCurdy (1899-1989) con modelo de yate Peter azul, ca. 1967


  1. ^ De acuerdo con la Diccionario de buques de combate navales estadounidenses en http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/r7/robert_h_mccurdy_.htm y NavSource Online: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Robert H. McCurdy (SP 3157), Robert H. McCurdy tiene el número de patrulla de sección SP-3157 de acuerdo con la Biblioteca en línea del Comando de Historia y Patrimonio Naval de la Armada de Imágenes Seleccionadas: Barcos de la Armada de los EE. UU .: USS Robert H. McCurdy (ID # 3157), 1918-1919 Originalmente la goleta civil Robert H. McCurdy (1903), tenía el número de identificación del registro naval 3157 (ID-3157).
  • Beyer, Edward F. y Beyer, Kenneth M. (1991). & quotU. S. Navy Mystery Ships & quot. Buque de guerra internacional. Organización Internacional de Investigaciones Navales. XXVIII (4): 322 & # x2013372. ISSN & # xA00043-0374.

Este artículo incorpora texto del dominio público. Diccionario de buques de combate navales estadounidenses. La entrada se puede encontrar aquí.


یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی -۳۱۵۷)

یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی -۳۱۵۷) (به انگلیسی: USS Robert H. McCurdy (SP-3157)) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۷۸ فوت (۵۴ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۰۳ ساخته شد.

یواس‌اس رابرت اچ مک‌کوردی (اس‌پی -۳۱۵۷)
پیشینه
مالک
تکمیل ساخت: ۲ سپتامبر ۱۹۰۳
به دست آورده شده: ۲۵ ژوئیه ۱۹۱۸
اعزام: ۲۵ ژوئیه ۱۹۱۸
مشخصات اصلی
گنجایش: 735 toneladas brutas
درازا: ۱۷۸ فوت (۵۴ متر)
پهنا: ۳۷ فوت ۲ اینچ (۱۱ ٫ ۳۳ متر)
آبخور: ۱۲ فوت ۱ اینچ (۳ ٫ ۶۸ متر)

این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. می‌توانید با گسترش آن به ویکی‌پدیا کمک کنید.


1917 El hotel McCurdy abre sus puertas
1969 Hotel cae en quiebra y cierra
1970 El edificio se convierte en residencia y centro de enfermería.

El hotel McCurdy se desarrolló como "una instalación de lujo para ayudar a los esfuerzos de expansión de la ciudad". Lleva el nombre del coronel William H. McCurdy, inversor e industrialista local. El envejecido St George Hotel, en el sitio existente, fue demolido en 1915 para construir este magnífico hotel. Diseñado por H Ziegler Dietz, el edificio de 8 pisos en forma de U presentaba una gran sala Rose ubicada en el piso superior. El hotel fue construido en abierto al público el 17 de junio de 1917.

Durante su apogeo, el McCurdy fue operado como un hotel Van Orman. Según los archivos de Courier & Press, varios invitados destacados se alojaron en el McCurdy, entre ellos Katharine Hepburn, Clark Gable, el senador Joseph McCarthy y Richard Nixon.

Los negocios en el hotel se redujeron a fines de la década de 1960 y McCurdy cayó en bancarrota. El hotel cerró sus puertas el 16 de marzo de 1969.

El empresario local Robert E Green compró el hotel y lo reabrió. En octubre de 1970, sin embargo, Green vendió el edificio a Medco Corp, que declaró su intención de convertirlo de un hotel en una instalación residencial y una casa de retiro.

En 1989, se volvió a vender y se convirtió en McCurdy Healthcare Center.

En junio de 2006, McCurdy pasó a llamarse Riverwalk Communities y cambió su enfoque clientelar. Después de varias infracciones y citaciones de la Junta de Salud. La instalación acordó cesar sus operaciones.


Robert H McCurdy SP-3157 - Historia

William Harvey McCurdy (1853-1930) nació el 28 de mayo de 1853 en Center Township, Pennsylvania de Joseph y Sidney McCurdy, una pareja que era dueña de una pequeña granja en el condado de Greene, PA. La familia se mudó a St. Louis, Michigan en 1866 y, como su padre era un consumado carpintero, William fue aprendiz de un carpintero en Jackson, Michigan y, después de los cuatro años necesarios, se convirtió en oficial. Permaneció empleado en el comercio hasta 1875, cuando una sed de aventura lo llevó a un viaje a través del país como vendedor ambulante. En algún momento de 1879 llegó a Independence, Missouri, en vísperas del gran boom inmobiliario de Kansas City y decidió probar suerte como agente inmobiliario y vendedor de seguros, estableciendo una oficina en 15 W 9th St. en el centro de Kansas City. Se casó con la ex Helen Eliza Hess el 25 de junio de 1880 en Cincinnati, Ohio en 1888, la pareja había tenido cuatro hijos.

McCurdy y su creciente familia (un quinto hijo, Lynn, su primer hijo, nació en 1893) se mudaron a Cincinnati en 1889, donde se convirtió en secretario de Favorite Buggy Company, un conocido constructor de Ohio. Mientras estaba en Favorite, McCurdy conoció a Julius Rosenwald, el director de Rosenwald and Weil, el principal proveedor de ropa masculina de Sears, Roebuck & amp Co. de Chicago.

En 1894, Rosenwald financió a McCurdy en la creación de Brighton Buggy Co., y negoció un trato entre McCurdy y Sears-Roebuck & amp Co. Un año después, Rosenwald y su cuñado, Aaron Nussbaum, compraron la mitad de Roebuck. de Sears, Roebuck por $ 75,000. Como era de esperar, el negocio mejoró para Brighton Buggy Co, que ahora era uno de los principales proveedores de vagones y carritos agrícolas de la empresa de Chicago.

Para 1900, las instalaciones de Brighton en Cincinnati se habían vuelto demasiado pequeñas para manejar la cuenta de Sears, por lo que McCurdy buscó otro sitio para su creciente negocio de buggy. La bien situada ciudad de Evansville, Indiana, fue elegida para su nueva fábrica, que fue construida en una parcela de tierra que limita con Morton St y el Ferrocarril del Sur, que tenía una línea directa al norte de Chicago. La planta estaba ubicada a menos de una milla del río Ohio, proporcionando a la nueva planta Hércules de 3 pisos y 32,000 pies cuadrados un suministro constante de madera y acceso directo a barcazas con destino a ciudades a lo largo del río Mississippi. El edificio pronto se completó y McCurdy trasladó toda la operación a Evansville en 1902, nombrándola Hercules Buggy Co. Más de 40 jornaleros y carreteros expertos siguieron a McCurdy a Evansville, al igual que Harry Wessling, gerente de planta de Brighton Buggy.

Bajo el liderazgo de Rosenwald como vicepresidente y tesorero, las ventas anuales de Sears, Roebuck & amp Co aumentaron de $ 750,000 en 1895 a más de $ 50 millones en 1907. Sears salió a bolsa en 1906 y como uno de sus accionistas mayoritarios, Rosenwald se convirtió en millonario de la noche a la mañana. William McCurdy también había invertido en el minorista de Chicago y, a su llegada a Evansville, fue elegido director del Old State National Bank y más tarde ayudó a organizar el American Trust and Savings Bank de Evansville.

Rosenwald previó la popularidad del carruaje sin caballos y en 1905 convenció a McCurdy para que creara una empresa separada, Hercules Body Co., para que construyera carrocerías para ellos. En la primera parte del siglo XX se emitió una postal que ofrecía una buena vista del complejo en expansión de Mason St., que ahora incluía la Hercules Wheel Co., construida justo al este de la planta de energía del complejo, que se puede identificar por su enorme chimenea. Al norte del edificio Hercules Buggy original (3 pisos 90 × 670 °) estaba el Hercules Surrey and Wagon Co, donde se fabricaban los vagones y autocares agrícolas más grandes de la empresa. Junto al edificio Surrey & amp Wagon Co estaba Hercules Warehouse Co, donde se almacenaban las piezas y se enviaban los vehículos completos a los clientes. Más al este estaba el edificio Hercules Body Co. (3 pisos de 125 x 710), donde se fabricaban la mayoría de las legendarias carrocerías de camiones y vagones Woodie de la firma. La larga estructura de un piso adjunta a ella era la Hercules Paint Co. Cerca se encontraba el concurrido almacén de madera de la firma, donde se ubicaban los enormes hornos y edificios de secado de la firma.

Muchos de los edificios originales de Hercules permanecen, formando el actual almacén de Morton Ave., que está ubicado entre North Morton Ave. (anteriormente Morton St.) y N. Kentucky Ave. en el lado sur de E Franklin St y al norte de E. Division S t.

Debido al deterioro de la salud, Richard Sears se retiró como Sears, presidente de Roebuck en 1908 y Rosenwald asumió el control de la empresa. El minorista de Chicago estaba ansioso por sacar provecho de la locura de los automóviles y se acercó a un inventor de Ohio, Alvaro S. Krotz, para diseñar y producir un automóvil que Krotz había fabricado un vehículo eléctrico con su propio nombre en 1904-1905. Los primeros Sears Motor Buggies se construyeron dentro de la planta de Hercules Buggy, pero la producción se trasladó a Chicago a fines de 1909 cuando finalmente se completó la nueva fábrica de Sears Motor Car Works en la esquina de Harrison y Loomis. Desde ese momento hasta la desaparición del vehículo en 1912, solo las carrocerías del automóvil Sears se construyeron en Evansville.

En 1908 McCurdy formó un ferrocarril interurbano llamado Evansville & amp Ohio Valley Railway Co. cuyos primeros vagones de pasajeros fueron construidos por Hércules. McCurdy puso gran énfasis en el transporte local y ayudó a establecer el primer sistema de tranvías de Evansville, así como también se desempeñó como presidente de Evansville & amp Eastern Railway / Evansville Railway Co.Sus sistemas de carga e interurbanos finalmente brindaron servicio a Boonville, Fort Branch y Mt Vernon. , Indiana, así como Owensboro y Henderson Kentucky.

En 1912, William Triplett, comprador de buggy y motor de gasolina de Sears, Roebuck & amp Co se acercó a McCurdy con una propuesta comercial. Una empresa controlada por Sears, Holm Machine and Mfg Co. de Sparta, Michigan, suministraba actualmente al gigante minorista la mayoría de sus motores de gas estacionarios, pero la demanda superó con creces la capacidad de la pequeña fábrica. Triplett propuso que McCurdy construyera una fábrica de motores en Evansville para ayudar a suministrar a Sears, Roebuck los motores que necesitaban y se ofreció a ayudar a financiar la empresa.

En consecuencia, Hercules Gas Engine Co. se formó el 8 de noviembre de 1912. La construcción comenzó en la moderna fábrica con paredes de vidrio construida junto al complejo existente de Hércules y los primeros motores salieron de la instalación a principios de 1914. Hércules produjo motores para un número de minoristas bajo las marcas Ajax, Arco, Atlas, Champion, Economy, Erren, Hercules, Jaeger, Keystone, Reeco, Rohaco, Thermoil y Williams. El negocio aumentó hasta el punto en que se construyó una nueva cúpula en 1918 que tenía capacidad para procesar 150 toneladas de metal fundido por día. Desde 1914 hasta el cierre de la fábrica en 1934, se produjeron en Evansville más de 400.000 motores de gasolina fabricados por Hercules.

Un segundo Hercules: la Hercules Motors Corp. de Canton, Ohio es más conocida que el tema de este artículo. Hercules Motors se fundó en Cantón en 1915 en respuesta a la demanda de un motor de gasolina de alta velocidad, liviano y de servicio pesado para camiones, y eventualmente expandió sus líneas de productos para servir como fuente de motores para más de 500 empresas de fabricación en los EE. UU. Y muchos países extranjeros. Fue el último superviviente de los tres fabricantes de motores conocidos con el nombre de Hércules y cerró sus puertas en 1999.

Una tercera firma Hercules, la Hercules Gas Engine Co., de San Francisco, California, se organizó a principios de la década de 1890 y tampoco tiene relación. La empresa californiana comercializó sus motores bajo las marcas comerciales Hercules, Improved Hercules & amp New Hercules y también fabricó motores estacionarios Palmer & amp Ray. La empresa fue comprada por Peerless Motor Co. en 1907.

Aunque Estados Unidos aún no participó en la Primera Guerra Mundial, el conflicto creó nuevos mercados para los agricultores estadounidenses, que recurrían cada vez más al motor de tracción para mejorar su productividad.

Hercules developed a 3-wheeled farm tractor in 1915 that differed from the competitions in that it was propelled by a single rear wheel steered by two small wheels at the front. The operator sat alongside the engine which was covered by a shroud that flowed into a large fender over the driven rear wheel.

The prototype attracted the attention of Ray Graham, the youngest of the famous Graham Brothers who at that time ran a successful bottle-making factory in Evansville. This was a few years before they began selling kits to turn stock Model T s into trucks. Graham appeared with the prototype at various regional fairs and helped bring in some of the 2000 orders received for the tractor, however the project was soon abandoned and no production Hercules tractors were built despite the glowing accounts of the tractor's future that appeared in the local newspapers.

During 1915 Hercules engine production exceeded 100 units per day. The Hercules Body division was producing about 200 bodies per day and the Hercules Buggy continued to be popular with daily shipment of over 300 units.

Within 5 years of its introduction, Hercules foundry could no longer keep up with the demand for their 1 , 3, 6 and 8 hp gas engines and a new one was constructed in 1918, allowing the firm to keep up with orders from Sears and other retail distributors.

The popular engines were shipped all around the world as evidenced by existing Hercules literature that was printed in French and Spanish. A small 1 hp engine was developed with a cylinder-hopper casting can be separated from the base so it could be broken down into a couple of crates weighing less than 50lbs. a piece, allowing Hercules to ship it to normally inaccessible places.

Although some very early Ford trucks were sold with commercial bodies, Ford discontinued the program in 1913 leaving the field wide open for enterprising commercial body builders through 1924 when the first factory-built Ford Model T pick-ups were introduced. Hercules Body Co developed a Model T slip-on body that first appeared in the early teens. When it was advertised in the 1915 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog the retail giant supplied so many orders that an additional building was built to help Hercules fulfill the orders. As Ford had yet to introduce the Model T pickup, the popular Hercules accessory allowed a roadster or turtleback runabout owner to convert their vehicle into a pickup truck in less than an hour. Through the end of the decade Hercules completed large orders of ambulance bodies for the US Army as well as regulation delivery van bodies for the US Post Office. A 1921 Hercules advertisement boasted that they were the largest builder of truck bodies in the world , with a staff of 7500 producing over 40,000 truck cabs and bodies per year.

With the European conflict increasingly on the minds of Americans, the government began to make plans for the likelihood of the US entering the conflict. McCurdy was appointed to President Woodrow Wilson s American Defense Society in 1916 and was made a Colonel in the Indiana Reserve by Governor Goodrich. From then on McCurdy would be referred to as Colonel McCurdy . During the same year construction began on the McCurdy Hotel at 101-111 SE First St. in downtown Evansville. McCurdy was a director of the Van Orman Hotel Operating Co. the firm that built the McCurdy Hotel and was headed by his friend F. Harold Van Orman. In addition to the Hotel McCurdy, the company built 5 other large hotels in the area the Hotel Shawnee in Springfield, Ohio, the Hotel Orlando in Decatur, Illinois, the Hotel Nelson in Rockford, Illinois, the Terre Haute House in Terre Haute, Indiana and the Van Orman Hotel in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Evansville s 9-story 300-room Hotel McCurdy is currently a residential center for senior citizens and is listed on the Federal Register of Historic Buildings.

In 1918 Colonel McCurdy entered the emerging automotive electrics business with the purchase of another Evansville firm, the Schroeder Headlight Co., following the death of its founder, Adam Schroeder. In addition to its dynamo-powered railroad locomotive headlights and automotive lamps, the firm also manufactured a line of light plants (farm generators) marketed under the Farm-lite brand that were powered by Hercules gas engines.

McCurdy purchased the rights to an ice machine invented by two Detroit residents, Howard Dennedy and Karl Zimmerman. He brought the pair to Evansville to finalize its development and a small research department was set up inside the Schroeder plant. McCurdy renamed the firm the Schroeder Headlight and Refrigerator Co. to reflect their new direction. Sear, Roebuck was very interested in the product and numerous samples were dispatched to their Chicago laboratories.

On November 23rd, 1920, the half-dozen branches of Hercules - Hercules Buggy Co., Hercules Body Co., Hercules Engine Co., Hercules Paint Co., Hercules Surrey & Wagon Co., Hercules Warehouse Co. and Hercules Wheel Co. - were merged into a single concern, The Hercules Corporation. The firm was reorganized with a capital stock of eight million dollars with the officers as follows: William H. McCurdy - President, John D. Craft - First Vice-president and Manager, Lynn H. McCurdy - Second Vice-president, Treasurer and Manager of Sales, and Frank G. Cowan, Secretary.

During 1920, the 7500 employees of the various Hercules enterprises produced 84,000 buggies, surreys and wagons, 62,000 gasoline engines and 40,000 auto & truck bodies and cabs. An early 20s Hercules brochure included a list of the firm s principal products buggies, spring wagons, delivery wagons, business bodies for Fords, sawing outfits, farm generators, cream separators and gasoline, kerosene and oil engines.

Starting in the mid-teens Hercules Body Co. published an annual catalog advertising their Business Bodies for Fords . By the early twenties the catalog s 80 pages included detailed pictures and specifications of the multitude of cabs and truck bodies built by the firm. Although the looked similar to other manufacturer s products, Hercules closed cabs are distinguishable by their vertically split windscreen.

Hercules built a small quantity of production automobile bodies for Chevrolet during the twenties as evidenced by reference to them in the Jun 15, 1924 issue of the Indianapolis Star which stated, The Hercules Corporation has created a special division at its factory at Evansville, Ind., for the manufacture of Chevrolet bodies. It s likely that production bodies were built for other manufacturers as well, but little else is known about the program.

By 1922, the stillborn Hercules farm tractor had faded from memory and the Colonel allowed his son Lynn to develop an automobile which was to be called the McCurdy. A totally unrelated firm, the Hercules Motor Car Co., of New Albany, Indiana had built an assembled car called the Hercules from 1914 to 1915, creating much confusion with the public who assumed it was a product of the Evansville gas engine manufacturer. Consequently the new vehicle would not carry the Hercules moniker as McCurdy didn t want his automobile to be associated with the earlier vehicle which was a commercial failure.

At the 1920 Indianapolis Automobile Show, Lynn McCurdy was impressed by the Gale Four, a prototype exhibited by its designer Garde Gale. Unable to secure financing through normal channels, Gale approached McCurdy to see if he was interested in producing the vehicle and within the year the Evansville paper announced that Hercules would start producing the McCurdy Six starting in 1922. It was to be an assembled chassis of 127 with power supplied by a Continental six. Hercules would supply the bodywork and the cars marketing would be handled by the cars designer who was now on the Hercules payroll. A reported 7 chassis were assembled for testing but it was soon decided that Hercules was not ready for the automobile manufacturing business. Two chassis had been fitted with coachwork so to help the firm out, two Hercules executives - Harry Wessling and V.E. McCullen bought the completed vehicles for $2500 apiece and the whole affair was quickly forgotten.

When McCurdy reorganized his many holdings in 1920, Schroeder was reorganized as the Sunbeam Electric Mfg. Co. with his friend William A. Carson as Vice-president/ General Manager and himself President.

Howard Dennedy had designed the hermetically sealed rotary compressor that would become the nucleus of the modern refrigerator. Karl Zimmerman built the first prototypes and the pair soon perfected the device. Morris Trippett, Sears, Roebuck & Co. s buggy and automobile buyer was so enamored with the new device he resigned his position and formed the National Electric Products Co. in 1923 to help publicize and distribute it. He came up with the slogan Serve Electrically later shortening it to Serv-El, the brand name that the refrigerators were originally marketed under.

Due to dwindling sales, Hercules halted all buggy production later that year and the buggy factory was outfitted to produce insulated sheet metal housings for Hercules latest product. By 1924 McCurdy had the most successful ice machine on the market and signed a 10-year distribution contract with Trippett s firm which was now know as Serv-El Corp.

At the time Colonel McCurdy was suffering from declining health and in 1925 he sold a controlling interest in Hercules Corp. to Trippett s Serv-El Corp. which was consequently reorganized as the Servel Manufacturing Co. Serv-El purchased US rights to a propane-powered absorption refrigerator from the Swedish appliance giant AB Electrolux. Sales of the new Electrolux-Servel gas-refrigerator commenced in 1926, and within a year, Servel had cornered the market for the popular appliance.

Chase-Manhattan Bank became interested in Servel and purchased a substantial interest in the firm, providing them with the capital to move all of the firm s operations to Evansville. Before 1927, Servel s Evansville plant was devoted to manufacturing the refrigerator s insulated metal cabinets while a second factory in Newburgh, NY assembled them. By late 1929, Servel was Evansville s largest employer, employing over five thousand workers.

Colonel McCurdy spent the rest of his life as Evansville s premier philanthropist, quietly passing away on Jun 15, 1930 in San Diego, CA at the age of 77.

Chase-Manhattan made a substantial investment in Electrolux Servel during 1927, and in January 1928 Electrolux Servel firm was reorganized once again as Servel Inc. The former Hercules Body Co. and Hercules Gas engine Co. were combined into a single unit, Hercules Products Inc. which is sometimes referred to as Servel-Hercules. At this point the two branches became totally separate entities, no longer sharing any management, staff, facilities or financing.

Servel Inc. developed one of the first chiller units (freezers) in 1933, and continued their involvement in gas powered (propane) home appliances, introducing a the "All Year" residential gas air conditioning unit at the 1939 Worlds Fair which took place in New York. A Milestone was reached two years later when the 2,000,000th Servel refrigerator was produced. During the war they produced P-47 Thunderbolt wings that were shipped by rail to Republic Aviation's Farmingdale, N.Y., facility for final assembly. By 1946 Servel had returned to manufacturing its four core products: gas and kerosene refrigerators, gas water heaters, gas air conditioners and electric refrigerators. More than 4 million propane-powered refrigerators had rolled off the assembly line at Servel's Evansville refrigerator plant before it was sold to Goodwill Industries in 1956. One year later, Servel s remaining assets were acquired by the Arkansas Louisiana Gas Co. which renamed the division ArkLA-Servel.

In May 1991, Robur Group, an Italian Company founded in 1956, acquired the gas air conditioning division of Servel from ArkLA-Servel in order to acquire the firm s gas-fired absorption cooling technology and manufacturing facilities. The takeover also gave Robur a North American distribution network for their European gas-fired appliances. Today, Robur continues to carry on their history of providing their customers with state-of-the-art cooling and heating solutions.

Since the mid teens, Hercules Body Co. had been building wood-framed stake bodies, jitneys, express bodies, delivery vans and depot hacks for Ford Model T and TT chassis. The wooden bodies were easily adapted to other chassis and Hercules soon offered separate catalogs for Chevrolet, Dodge, Fargo and Ford light truck chassis. During the 1920s, Hercules Products expanded into the manufacture of all-metal dump bodies and trailers, and introduced a line of insulated route delivery bodies.

Although Hercules bodies could be ordered direct from the factory, most were sold through authorized distributors who stocked the firm s most popular bodies, crated and ready for assembly on the customer s chassis. Hercules even leased a factory showroom and warehouse in the heart of Manhattan s Automobile Row at 617-621 W. 57th St, New York NY during the 1920s.

A 1920 Hercules Body Co. catalog lists the following distributors:

Universal Motorcar, New Orleans, LA
Eastman & Russell, Dallas, TX
Wm. F. Habig & Son, Omaha, NE
Keystone State Motor & Auto Body Co. Philadelphia, PA
New England Commercial Body Co. Boston, MA
Charles Abresch & Co. Milwaukee, WI
Buffalo Commercial Body Co. Buffalo, NY
West Penn Body Co. Pittsburgh, PA
C.E. Hamlin Detroit, MI
Guy Cooper & Bro. Kansas City, MO
AY. Dolph Los Angeles, CA
CM. Barrett Chicago, IL
W.A. Haviland, Minneapolis, MN
Fred Linde, San Francisco, CA
H.N. Knight Supply, Oklahoma City, OK
Central Agency Seattle, WA
Blaney Motor Co, Tacoma, WA
Beaudry Motor Co, Atlanta, GA
WC. Vedder Charlotte, NC
Richey-Coen Co. Columbus, OH
Adamson Motor Co. Birmingham, AL
REAL ACADEMIA DE BELLAS ARTES. Chapman Denver, CO
McCreery-Phelan Memphis, TN
Makemer Motor Co. Peoria, IL
Altare-Smith Co. Salt Lake City, UT
City Storage & Mfg. Sioux Falls, IA.
H.T. Pecor Troy, NY.

Robert Campbell of Tarrytown, New York became a Hercules distributor in the late 20s, and within a few short years, would start manufacturing his own commercial bodies. During the next decade the Hercules-Campbell Body Co. established satellite sales branches in Cambridge, Massachusetts (at 130 Brookline St.) Portland, Maine Albany, New York Berlin, Connecticut N. Kearney, New Jersey and Jamaica, Long Island, NY.

Crated and disassembled (knocked-down) Hercules commercial bodies were shipped by rail from Evansville to Campbell s Tarrytown plant where they would be assembled and installed on waiting chassis. As Chevrolet had a final assembly plant located a few miles away in North Tarrytown (now called Sleepy Hollow), quite a few Hercules bodies ended up on the automakers chassis. Once varnished, Hercules station wagon bodies could not be knocked-down for shipping and were transported inside freight cars on special dollies.

In the early days of the Depression Campbell realized that he needed to find a less-expensive source of suburban station wagon bodies in order to compete against the budget-priced Ford Model A. Henry W. LeClear, the manager of Waterloo Bodies Inc. had been acquainted with Campbell for a number of years and let him know that he was looking for a job as his Waterloo, New York employer was closing its doors.

Campbell traveled to Waterloo to inspect the facility in January of 1932 accompanied by his Vice President, a Mr. Vincent. Waterloo offered them an abundant supply of cheap skilled labor as well as convenient access to the Lehigh Valley Railroad. The pair made an offer to the factory s owner, papers were signed and LeClear was hired to ready the plant for production. Mid-State Body Co. Inc. was soon shipping finished suburbans and knocked-down van bodies to Hercules-Campbell s busy Tarrytown assembly plant

As Hercules-Campbell was now a body manufacturer in their own right, their story continues on the Hercules-Campbell page.

Back in Evansville, Hercules was enjoying great success with their expanded line of commercial and light truck bodies. They built all of the production bodies for Chevrolet s truck-based Carryall from 1937 onwards and along with Moller and Cantrell, supplied International with wooden bodies for their D2 station wagons from 1937-1940.

1937-1939 Packard woodies were built by Cantrell, but during the 1940 model year, Hercules assumed the contract, consequently there are both Cantrell and Hercules-bodied 1940 Packard station wagons. A total of 358 Hercules bodies were supplied to Packard for their 1941 One-Ten (122" wheelbase) and One-Twenty (127" wheelbase) station wagons. Most featured ash frames and birch panels although a mahogany paneled version was available for extra cost. Both vehicles could carry eight passengers but the 8-cylinder One-Twenty offered more comfort with its extra 5 of rear seat legroom. A handful of bodies were also produced for Packard s 1940-1941 Model One-Sixty chassis but they were identical to the bodies produced for the Model One-Twenty.

Starting in 1939, Hercules started building production station wagon bodies for General Motors Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac Divisions. As all three utilized the same 8-passenger bodywork, GM split the contract between Cantrell, Hercules and Ionia.

Hercules distinctive ash-framed mahogany paneling set them apart from the plainer birch-paneled Cantrell and Ionia products. Ionia s framing differed slightly from Hercules and Cantrell s as Ionia used three horizontal ribs per panel instead of two. All three wagons shared an Everflex-covered padded roof and a horizontally split tailgate, which included a single window on the top and a built-in folding tray on the bottom.

Buick became part of General Motors wagon program in 1940 and both Ionia and Hercules supplied them with wooden coachwork for their new Model 59 wagons that was identical to that found on Oldsmobile s new Series 70 wagon.

Hercules wagons remained popular through early 1942 when all production was halted in order to convert the Hercules factory over to war work.

Following the end of hostilities Ionia became General Motors main supplier of wooden station wagon bodies although Hercules supplied Oldsmobile and Buick with a few bodies in 1946-47.

Hercules survived the next decade by producing dry freight truck and trailers as well as insulated route delivery bodies which gained the firm a well-deserved reputation in the dairy business.

In 1957 the Indiana firm was purchased by George Caddick, who moved it to Henderson, Ky. Caddick reorganized it as the Hercules Manufacturing Co. and added refrigerated trailers to the firm popular line of milk trucks and dry freight bodies. Hercules continues to supply the transportation industry with Insulated Van Trailers, Insulated Van Bodies, Cold Plate Refrigeration Bodies, Insulated Slip-In Bodies, Dry Freight Van Bodies, FRP Van Bodies, Attic Bodies and other Specialized Bodies. The business, located at Outer 8th St & Hercules Dr in Henderson remains family owned and operated.


Links

Descendency and diaspora[edit]

It is through the marriage of Petheric McCurdy to Margaret Stewart that most McCurdy families in the Eastern and Southern United States can trace their roots as Petheric and Margaret's sons John, Daniel and James immigrated to Pennsylvania and South Carolina during the Colonial period. The names of McCurdy, McCready, McCurry, McQuady, McCurdie and other similar names are generally believed to have descended from the Mackirdy stock as research in many cases has proven. McCurdy


Robert H McCurdy SP-3157 - History

The term Scotch Irish is generally removed from both Scottish and Irish direct history, and involves the desire of American, Canadian and Australian protestants with ancestors embarked from Ireland to distinguish and distance themselves from the mostly later arriving catholics leaving that same country. Although the McCurdy ascendancy is clouded, the Stewart ascendancy gained through the McCurdy marriage in Ireland year 1667 yields an interesting and far reaching twist. This ascendancy takes us back to the first Stewart King, Robert II of Scotland in his [illicit] liason with Moira Leitch or Leith. Robert II's own ahnentafel involves the emmigration of a group of Irish to Scotland known to history as the Dalriadan Scots, and the earliest person in those portions of his line who can be considered reasonably certain is in the form of the leader Fergus Mor Of Dalriada who left Ireland for Alba [Scotland] in the sixth century. This tribal group, although then foreign to what we call Scotland today, is the source of the name for that country. They left their native Ireland in the mists of history and settled in a land they eventually conquered through warfare and made peaceful through royal marriage with the more native Picts in the mid 9th century. In this way, the group we call Scotch Irish would be better termed Irish Scotch Irish, and, if one takes the archeological study of the Celts into account as coming from the mainland east to settle Irish shores, could better yet be termed European Celtic Irish Scotch Irish. This is the beauty of geneology The garnering of a large frame of human reference in which to hold ourselves embodied: The ability to claim many historical aspects despite the existence of territories, warfare, and later borders seperating them but ultimately uniting us the ability to gain great human unity from regional historical fragments.

Our first McCurdy to reach America was James McCurdy, who, with his wife Polly Cooke [of whom no more is known] left in a boat meant for gateway to Pennsylvania but due to poor weather was forced to landing further south and on the river James. Still, this family managed to find their way to Salisbury township, Lancaster County, Pa in the 3rd decade of the 18th century and shortly after arrival. At the time of the McCurdy immigration, another direct ancestor James LOGAN was secretary and surveyor general for William Penn and James Logan was arguably the most powerful man in the 13 colonies, his employer long since returned to England. Our second generation McCurdy in America served in the American Revolution, and later settled on land squatted by the Scot-Irish in now southern Adams County, Pa in the region of the Marsh Creek Settlement called The Manor of Maske. one of many Penn Family Manors, some of which involved our forebears of several lines. Like all the Manors, this land involving Maske had been set aside by Penn's agents for the Penn family private use Specific to its history is the threat of bodily force against Penn surveyors by the Maske squatters, 70 of some strong of which went to meet the surveyors and deter them from their task. Struggles in the Penn Family Manors occured also at Springettsbury [now York and its environs, and relevant to our SPANGLER and allied lines] but the struggles involving the Manor of Maske, and Digge's choice [in what is now Littlestown and Hanover, Pa [similarly set aside for the use of Lord Digges by Maryland and relevant to our SWOPE and HOKE lines] , perhaps hold larger historical context as the history of Maske and Digges Choice have been cited by some as holding the pivotal action against, and absolute withdrawal of America from, the feudal concept of land ownership still practised in Europe of the time. The sqautters believed and were willing to sacrifice themselves succesfully to the concept that he or she who works the land should own it. Although not an original squatter but buying his land there from an original while the land involved in the Manor of Maske was still in some [albeit less anxious and more formalizing] dispute in the midst of the American Revolution, Robert McCurdy, James and Polly's son, like many of the Scotch Irish of the new world and owing to their antipathy towards the English crown, had early and willingly taken up arms against the English to fight for the concept of self governance and against any interference with personal will. He is our McCurdy patriot, and represents [with Daniel Troxell or Trachsel of Littlestown] the southernmost of our substantial Adams County Lines, in the region of now Adams County known as the Marsh Creek Settlements and to which many Scotch Irish were compelled. Robert McCurdy's precense in the county preceeded that of our direct Swopes of the region with whom his grandaughter would intermarry, and followed that of our BENDER direct Jacob who died near the town that bears his and his brother's name. At that time, the region we would come to call Bendersville was distant indeed , far to the north of Robert McCurdy, and it was settled mainly by Germans congealing in the tree the relationshipp of Germans and Scotch Irish in Colonial Pennsylvania often marked by dischord but often maintaining just a close geographical but great social distance. That Robert McCurdy's grandaughter married an American fully 100% German in asenddancy was unusual for the time, but can be seen as a time of change in immigrant attitude relevant to these two most vital ethnic forces in European Pennsylvania history.


Historia

The Christian Recorder is the oldest existing periodical published by African-Americans in the United States whose existence dated before the Civil War. It had its genesis in The Christian Herald, which was established by the General Conference that was held in Philadelphia in 1848. Founded by Rev. Augustus R. Green in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, The Christian Herald was published weekly with subscribers paying one dollar and fifty cents a year.

El nombre de The Christian Herald was changed to The Christian Recorder at the Ninth Quadrennial Session of the General Conference held in 1852 in New York City. The first issue was published and disseminated on July 1, 1852. The first editor of The Christian Recorder was the Reverend M. M. Clark, who was one of the first college graduates in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Clark was a graduate of Jefferson College and was considered to be one of the best-educated men in the A.M.E. Church. He wrote that the Recorder’s focus would be religion, morality, science and literature and it was to treat all geographical areas of the A.M.E. Church equally.

In 1864 John M. Brown was elected to succeed Elisha Weaver as editor but declined to serve due to his missionary duties in the wartime south. He was later elected and consecrated as the 11th bishop of the A.M.E. Church.

In its early days, The Christian Recorder focused on religious news, but much of the paper was devoted to secular news. Articles were written about education, voting rights, equality, and other secular issues that affected the lives of black Americans. The Christian Recorder was a forum to discuss slavery, classism, as well as racism. Articles were written by black women and about black women, and the paper also addressed issues related to families.

The Christian Recorder has been a faithful voice for the disenfranchised and the oppressed. It was a strong and vocal opponent of slavery and repeatedly addressed the biblical and moral issues of slavery while encouraging black consciousness. Following the Civil War, The Christian Recorder encouraged its readers to be diligent in protecting their families from whites who wanted to harm the newly freed slaves and regularly addressed the issue of families separated by the evils of slavery and published articles that tried to give information that would aid in the reuniting of family members. During Reconstruction, it advocated education for all citizens and was an activist for higher education and especially for an educated ministry. Throughout the 20th century, The Christian Recorder spoke against ills affecting persons of African descent globally ranging from colonialism to lynching.

los occidental y Southern Christian Recorder were established because the Church was growing and the constituents in the West and the South wanted more news about their regions. A woman, M. A. McCurdy, served as the editor of the Southern Christian Recorder. In 1886, Bishop Henry McNeil Turner founded the Southern Christian Recorder. Editors who served include Bradwell, R. M. Cheeks, G. E. Taylor, M. S. Bryant, G. W. Allen, J. H. Claybourne, E. C. Hatcher, and S. L. Jones. los Western Christian Recorder came into existence at the General Conference in Columbus, Ohio in 1892. Dr. J. Frank McDonald was its first editor. Other editors include Dr. J. D. Barksdale and Dr. J. H. Wilson.

In 1952, the General Conference in Nashville, Tennessee joined the Southern Christian Recorder y Western Christian Recorder to create the Southwestern Christian Recorder. Also, publication of The Christian Recorder moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Nashville, Tennessee. In 1960, the General Conference in Los Angeles, California combined the Southwestern Christian Recorder y The Christian Recorder to form The AME Christian Recorder. In 1984, the official registration of the paper reverted to its current (and original) name, The Christian Recorder.

The Christian Recorder continues to serve the African Methodist Episcopal Church in local communities and around the world in 39 countries on five continents with a robust print and online presence.

Editors of The Christian Recorder

1. Molliston Madison Clark 1852-1854
2. Jabez Pitts Campbell (8th Bishop) 1854-1860
3. Elisha Weaver 1861-1864
4. *Anthony L. Stanford 1861
5. James Lynch 1866-1867
6. Elisha Weaver 1867-1868
7. Benjamin Tucker Tanner (18th Bishop) 1868-1884
8. Benjamin Franklin Lee (20th Bishop) 1884-1892
9. Henry Theodore Johnson 1892-1909
10. Richard Robert Wright, Jr. (57th Bishop) 1909-1936
11. George Arnett Singleton 1936-1944
12. David Norris 1944-1950
13. Fred Hughes 1950-1960
14. Benjamin Julius Nolen, Sr. 1960-1964
15. Lawrence Sylvester Odom, Sr. 1964-1966
16. Benjamin Julius Nolen, Sr. 1966-1973
17. A. Lewis Williams 1973-1976
18. Robert H. Reid, Jr. 1976-1996
19. Ricky Spain 1996-2004
20. Calvin H. Sydnor, III 2004- 2016
21. John Thomas III, 2016-present

* Anthony L. Stanford served several months during Elisha Weaver’s tenure.

Selected Books about The Christian Recorder

Investigación de archivos

Institutions with repositories of The Christian Recorder incluir:


The David Donahue Memorial Tennessee Records Repository hosted on Tennessee GenWeb offers selected genealogical abstracts and transcriptions from the Western Methodist (1833–1834), the Defensor cristiano del suroeste (1838–1846), and the Nashville Christian Advocate (1847–1919, plus 1929) denominational newspapers.

A free, searchable digital edition of this classic Methodist Episcopal history by Abel Stevens, covering four volumes in six books. From the Wesley Center Online.


Ver el vídeo: BN Manifest train 1990 (Junio 2022).


Comentarios:

  1. Humility

    Estas equivocado. Discutiremos. Escribe en PM, hablamos.

  2. Goltizilkree

    Tal no escuchó

  3. Makkapitew

    Confirmo. Estoy de acuerdo con todo lo dicho anteriormente.

  4. Kajinos

    Absolutamente no está bien



Escribe un mensaje